When we finally got our house laid out and all of our pictures hung, I had a huge wall over our sofa and not nearly enough money to purchase the artwork that I would like to see hanging there. We also had a ton of art on our walls but not very many photos. I had come across this image when designing a hotel in Mississippi, and the concept has always stuck with me.
Unfortunately I had no family photos available, so I took shots from our travels and my time living in New Orleans and had them printed at the local CVS. If you sign up for an account, you get 25 free 4×6 prints. Perfect! I took all of our images and laid them out in Photoshop with the white border to create the effect of an old photo. I uploaded them to the site and while they were printing took a trip to Home Depot for supplies.
What you will need:
- Some type of wire fence, I chose to use chicken wire because they had the exact size that I needed for over my sofa.
- Small nails at least 1″ in length.
- Wire Cutters
- Clothes Pins
- Unroll the wire onto the floor and make cuts where necessary. It will be difficult to unroll, so it’s easiest with two people – I made this mistake.
- Lay out your images while it’s on the ground to get your composition.
- Once you are satisfied, have one person hold the wire to the wall while you nail into the areas where the wire twists together.
- Secure the nails at the top, middle and bottom about every 18″.
- Once you have the wire up, take your clothespins and arrange your photos accordingly.